We have already described how you can help reduce the effects of global warming at a grassroots level in one of our previous articles. However, for this article, we would like to talk about how governments can potentially help the cause. It is our duty, as citizens, to push our leaders to take action and save our home.
- Urging governments to regulate industry-generated carbon emissions so that they are at acceptable levels: Emissions, in most cases, are unavoidable. However, by setting limits on these emission levels and having set repercussions when industries fail to meet these limits would be a step in the right direction.
- Initiating state-level tree planting campaigns: Trees play a key role in regulating the temperature of the earth. In light of increasing deforestation globally, it is important to reverse the damage that has already been done. This would also help in maintaining biodiversity.
- Provide cleaner and safer public transport: Many people do not opt to use public transport because it isn’t safe or clean. In some cases, people may not even have access to public transport. This may cause them to use personal vehicles for daily commutes, increasing carbon emissions. If the option of using clean and safe public transport is accessible and available to all, there would be a scope of reducing these emissions.
- Protection and restoration of ecosystems: This is something that is not possible at an individual level. Reversing the damage already done to the environment would have to be undertaken by the government, and it is our responsibility to urge them to do so.
- Promoting green/non-conventional forms of energy
Here are petitions that are applicable at a global scale:
It is important to look for petitions/NGOs working towards this cause in your country and participate. We strongly urge you to do so.
Check out our book review on World Made By Hand by James Howard Kunstler- https://easierreadthandone887945191.wordpress.com/2020/11/06/world-made-by-hand-by-james-howard-kunstler/
Check out our podcast – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8Z6_LFBFlty5gctJVFKtTA